Thursday, January 27, 2011
兔年好Lobang (6) - Learn more about your New Year snacks Part 2
Chinese New Year is just 1 week away! This article, Fifth Avenue will be bringing you more recipes such as Kuih Bolu and Kuih Lapis! Also, you will get to see how Bak Kua is made!
Let's start the ball rolling with Kuih Bolu!
Recipe: Kuih Bolu
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons cooking oil/butter (optional)
1.Beat the eggs with an electric hand-mixer until frothy and then add sugar.
2.Continue to beat until the sugar is well dissolved and the mixture becomes sticky.
3.Add in the vanilla essence and fold in the flour gradually and then add in the cooking oil/butter.
4.Continue to beat the batter with the hand-mixer until well-blended.
5.Grease the kuih Bolu moulds and fill up to the surface level.
6.Bake in preheated oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7.Remove Kuih Bolu from the moulds and cool on wire racks. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
The traditional kuih bolu recipe doesn’t call for cooking oil or butter, but the auther find them a tad too dry. Adding the cooking oil/butter makes the kuih bolu comes off the mould easily. Also, as you can see, the kuih bolu are over baked because the author had lost track of time. They should be light brown in color.
Next, let's take a look at Kuih Lapis!
Kuih Lapis Recipe
12 oz butter
2Tbsp condensed milk
20 eggs yolks
5 oz icing sugar
2 oz superfine flour, sifted with
1.5 tsp all spice
2 Tbsp brandy (optional)
1. Lined and greased a 6 inch cake pan. Preheat oven at 380 degrees Farenheit.
2. Beat butter and condensed milk till smooth. Leave aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and icing sugar till pale and thick.
4. Fold butter into egg yolk mixture.
5. Lastly, fold in sifted flour in 2 batches until combined. Add brandy.
6. Turn the oven to grill function. Put cake pan into oven for 1 minute.
7. Put a small ladle ( about 2.5 oz) batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 5 minutes or till the top is brown.
8. Remove from oven and and scoop the same amount of batter for the second layer. Repeat the same process.
9. After you have finished the last layer, turn the oven to bake function. Cover top of the cake with aluminium foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
10. Remove and cool on wire rack.
Next, we will take a look at how Bak Kua is made... this video was actually featured last year in Omy.sg 《体验36》-- 烤肉干考诚意， with Sieyen as the voice-over, and myself experiencing the process of "烤肉干". Let's take a look at this video again!
Posted by kevinskh at 10:00 AM